Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We won the bid!!


Thanks to Lit's willingness to watch Oyster recently, Chill and I were able to attend the local Artists Against AIDS Auction. I was amazed at the large number of merchants represented along with the local artists. The many paintings, sculptures, jewelry items, blown glass, pottery, one afghan, and one quilt were displayed throughout a large room--that really could have been a lot larger. What a fantastic problem! Too many donations!

If I have figured this out, here is a photo of the quilted wall hanging I donated this year. Thanks to Oyster to holding it up to be photographed. Sorry for the bad quality of the photo--I used the cell phone and this was the better of the two tries.

Anyway, tucked amongst the original art were services from local businesses, such as clarinet and saxophone lessons, spa weekends, YMCA membership, dinner at local restaurants, and decorating consultations. Dinner for six with the mayor went for $750. Of course, he egged it on by bidding up to $500 himself. A framed autographed Thriller album went for around $2500. A 1970 autographed Sonny and Cher album and a Rolling Stones album signed by the entire band were also up for grabs.

Airline tickets, hotel, and show tickets to several places were auctioned off--Ellen Degenres tickets went for over $3000. A NASCAR event was also on the list. I admit I didn't pay much attention to that bid.

Because the ballroom at the El Dorado, the refreshments, and the printing of the tickets were all donated, this particular auction came pretty darn close to being 100% profit. I'm guessing the cash bar provided a hefty amount.

As for us, I just got off the phone with someone calling to tell me how to deliver my money and pick up my treasure. Life is good.

6 comments:

Goo said...

What did you bid on?

jaz said...

Wouldn't you like to know? My only answer is something donated by a local artist.

LIT said...

Hope it's a figurine like your avatar. That would be awesome on the mantle.

jaz said...

Nope--and besides, I just unpacked Chill's monkey (see no evil) and robot to put on the mantel.

UPDATE: The folk who run the show report they can't find the bid sheet for my donation. They are hoping someone will phone in and ask whether they won. If not, they will put it in the auction again next year.

LIT said...

If no one calls and they don't find the bid sheet, you're off the hook for a quilt next year. HOWEVER, my suggestion is that you construct a resizable display frame for your donation so that it can be shown appropriately but does not go with the quilt so that you can use it again. Ta-tah!

Goo, maybe the art piece is your Christmas present. What do you think? I mean the non-response. Maybe not. Who knows? Just guessing.

jaz said...

And Lit, maybe it is yours...or Goo's...or both!


jewel tones was the theme