Monday, June 21, 2010

And so it begins

Summertime, and the living is easy--or so you hear in Porgy and Bess, my favorite opera.

Summer officially begins today or tomorrow, depending on who you ask. Summer camp officially began this morning. Oyster has about half an hour left of her first day of camp, and I anticipate picking up one very tired girl today. But it will be a good kind of tired.

She left this morning sporting a pair of white shorts over her black swimsuit. She listened to my warnings that if she sits in the dirt and gets them grimy I will probably not be able to make them pristine ever again. Fashion won out over good sense, in my opinion. While I am hoping she doesn't get disappointed, I think it would be a good lesson learned if she is. Well, at least I hope she will learn.

It is hard for parents to allow children to make mistakes and be disappointed, but I think it is important for them to do so. I won't be around to correct her decisions when she is an adult, so she needs to learn to think about the possible outcome of the different options and choose wisely. Just as importantly, she needs to learn to cope with the consequences of making a less than wise choice.

So, we have several weeks of camping fun laid out for the child's summer. She had a four-day session of beginning sewing last week, which she thoroughly enjoyed and begged to return this week for the next class. However, when given the option of real, outdoor, swimming, running, hiking, playing camp, she decided she can learn other sewing skills from Mom. Hope Mom is up to the task.

7 comments:

LIT said...

I actually read your blog the day you wrote it; I just don't know how to comment without sounding pessimistic because I don't really feel that way. Still working on it.

LIT said...

Labor pains are always discussed, but we're always told they are forgotten, and really they are. The pain of parenting is not so easily forgotten, but, generally, it is necessary for the child as well as the parent. Here's the warning: pristine white shorts are the least of your worries, present or future. Just sayin' . . . .

jaz said...

Just got home from a birthday party. Once again Oyster was the only girl present. I'm trying to figure out if that is something that should concern me. She's always been outgoing and she makes friends easily. I guess this means she makes friends with all the kids--not just the girls.

Of course, it could also mean the kids all know who her dad is. The boys seem to think Chill is really cool--even if they have never met him. Apparently I am the only non-cool member of the household.

jaz said...

Oh--and I definitely remember the labor pains.

LIT said...

Not to worry! When Dagromm was in middle school he was the only boy invited to a girl's birthday party. When I asked him about that his response was, "Mom, they all like me. I'm the Alan Alda of the '90's."

Now the question is: Were other girls invited and just didn't come? If so, why did they choose not to come to this boy's party? Maybe he has a problem, not Oyster.

See; it proves my point. There are questions, pains that come along with parenting that far surpass labor pains, and leave one wondering for a much longer time. "And so it begins . . ." if I may quote you.

jaz said...

We attended another party this weekend. The brothers hosting the party were handed their yearbook and instructed to point out their best friends. Oyster was the only girl identified by the boy her age. And the mom at the first party said she was the only girl her son wanted to invite.

And I REALLY remember the labor pains.

LIT said...

Here's another kind of birthday party woe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhCEkzqBqRg

A friend sent this to me; the young man is her great nephew. This would be a really sad thing to deal with.


jewel tones was the theme